Pediatrician Maria Savinova will talk about how to treat intestinal infections.
Summer is not only sun, sea and sand. It is also a lot of temptations for our little explorers, who often taste this world. And sometimes familiarity with the environment can cause trouble.
Acute intestinal infections - a group of heterogeneous infectious diseases with lesions of the digestive tract.
ATcausative agents of intestinal infectionsThere may be various bacteria (Salmonella, Shigella, pathogenic E. coli and many others) and viruses (rotaviruses, adenoviruses, reoviruses and others). And the cause of food toxicoinfections are not the bacteria themselves, but their toxins, which have accumulated in large quantities in food products (sour cream, confectionery, etc.).
Ways of infectionintestinal infections - water, food and contact-household, with viral infections, airborne transmission is not excluded.
Common signsintestinal infections, mainly vomiting, diarrhea, intoxication (weakness, lack of appetite, fever), abdominal pain. Moreover, diarrhea is the main symptom of intestinal infection.
The nature of the stool, the source of infection, the presence or absence of other symptoms, the sequence of their occurrence are very diverse and depend on the causative agent of a particular disease.
If there are signs of intestinal infection in a child, it is obligatory to consult a doctor. In children, especially young children, the infection process and its most terrible complication - dehydration develops quite quickly. Therefore, parents need to know, firstly, signs of dehydration, and secondly, the dangerous symptoms of an intestinal infection that require immediate medical intervention.
Signs of dehydrationin children:
Symptoms requiring immediate care:
Read also:How to strengthen the immune system of the child: 3 available ways
Principlestreatment of acute intestinal infectionsin children:
1. Diet: in the absence of vomiting in a child, it can be fed in small portions. Permissible products - dairy-free cereals, vegetable purees, soups, bananas, baked apples, biscuits, crackers, bagels, lean meat, poultry, beef, fish.
The basis for the prevention of intestinal infections - personal hygiene, cleanliness in the kitchen, insect control, food culture, limiting contact with the sick
2. Replenishing fluid and electrolyte losses - rehydration. In 90-95% of cases, oral rehydration is sufficient, that is, the introduction of fluid through the mouth.
Rules for oral rehydration:
Council of moms-forumchanki UAUA.info under the nicknameedge: You can not give vomiting to drink glasses, unsolder every 15 minutes, a couple of spoons and buy tests for acetone. Rotavirus is not treated, there are no drugs for it, only otpaivat, constantly, around the clock.
3. Probiotics (Lacidofill, Linex and others) are in many cases used as an alternative to antibacterial therapy.
4. Antiemetic and antidiarrheal agents (imodium, loperamide, cerucal, etc.) should be used with caution. Vomiting and diarrhea with OCI are protective reactions of the body, aimed at accelerated elimination of pathogenic microorganisms and their toxins from it. Reducing intestinal motility can contribute to the deterioration of the patient, the increase of intoxication.
5. Enterosorbents are prescribed with caution, since some of them, especially coal, can also slow down intestinal motility and increase intoxication. The most shown smekta, kaopektat.
6. Antibacterial drugs prescribed for strict indications.
A few words about the infectious diseases hospital: the current opinion that antibiotics are necessarily “dripping” is prescribed and it is easy to pick up a new infection - unduly.
Obviously, the basis for the prevention of intestinal infections is the observance of the rules of personal hygiene, cleanliness in the kitchen, insect control, food culture, and limiting contact with the sick.