Under the conflict, as a rule, understandclash of opposing opinions, interests and so on. Conflict can cause big trouble, but can also positively influence the situation that has developed under certain circumstances.
Models of behavior in conflict can bedifferent. People differ from one another in many ways. Of course, in a conflict situation, everyone behaves differently. Psychology knows the basic strategies of behavior in conflict. They can be useful, as they help to calculate the further behavior of a person in a similar situation.
Strategies of human behavior in conflict
It is about the orientation of a person or a group of people in relation to the unfolding conflict.
Strategies for behavior in conflict can be as follows:
- Evasion from it. Many people do not tolerate conflict situations and try to avoid them in every possible way. Often they pretend that there is no conflict. As a rule, they deny it even when it is obvious. Avoiding conflict hope that it will disappear by itself, that is, without a clash with the opposing side, without clarifying the relationship and any complications. This tactic can lead to the fact that a person's life will become unbearable. The bottom line is that conflicts only rarely end in themselves;
- adaptation. Often people do not want conflict, but instead of solving it openly, they try to make concessions to the opposing side and thereby smooth the situation. Often they begin to neglect their own interests. The party that is trying to adapt can also pretend that there is no problem, however, unlike the above strategy of behavior in the conflict, it will try to take measures to change its position. This strategy can be justified only if the subject of disagreement is not as important as the relationship with the opponent;
- cooperation. This strategy allows finding a way out of the conflict situation by means of an open discussion of the current situation. In this discussion, both sides have the same opportunity to present and try to prove their positions. This strategy will be effective only if the parties try to analyze each other's arguments, and not just express their opinion. It is good, if they together try to find a solution that would help to adequately get out of the situation. Most often, the parties resort to rivalry when the object of disagreement for them is equally important;
- confrontation. Each of the parties in this case, insists on its opinion and does not want to yield any positions. Response aggression only adds fuel to the fire and makes the conflict more tense, emotional, strong. The parties can influence each other with the help of power, psychological pressure and so on. Opponents easily can resort to physical force. Often, participants feel that they are solving a more important issue than they really are. Losing in such conflicts can be perceived as a personal failure. Opposition begins, as a rule, when both sides begin to put their interests above others. The result can be long-lost relationships and inability to further social interaction with each other;
- Compromise. In this case, the settlement of the conflict occurs at the expense of concessions, to which both sides agree. In fact, there are no winners or losers. Compromise is not the best tactic of behavior in the conflict, because participants can harbor an inner grievance, which sooner or later will prove itself.
The strategies of behavior in the conflict are different. It is useful to think a little and do a self-examination about how you yourself leave conflict situations.